Thursday, September 9, 2010

"The Sun. It is Making Much Warmness Today!"

From the same comic genius that brought us a far more descriptive pain scale*, comes The Four Levels of Social Entrapment. I highly recommend you check it out.

Even after orientation, those first opening weeks of medical school saw the same conversation (Hi! What's your name? Where are you from? Where did you do your undergrad?) repeated ad nauseum, often with the same person. By this point, much of the initial awkwardness has subsided, though I'm embarrassed to say there are still several classmates whose name I do not know.

I wish I could claim these are people I haven't yet managed to meet. But no. While I'm great with faces, I'm terrible with names, so there is a distinct population of students who greet me with a chipper "Hi Second Shift!" each morning before class, only to receive a tentative "Hey...you..." in reply.

Since we're beyond point where it is socially acceptable to ask someone's name, I think I'm just going to have fudge it for the next four years.

*In case you need proof of hilarity:
Scale ranges from "I am completely unsure whether I am experiencing pain or itching or maybe I just have a bad taste in my mouth" to "You probably have Ebola."

No comments: