Monday, May 4, 2009

Keep Your Eye On The Ball

Among the few lessons I remember from the disastrous experience that was childhood baseball is the importance of keeping your eye on the ball.  In my case, this training point meant nothing, as I could stare at the ball through a laser-guided scope and still not hit the broad side of a barn (thankfully hand-eye coordination is not required for running).  

One little Little Leaguer recently followed that rule a little too closely when he was struck in the eye by a fastball, and rather than taking his base, took an ambulance to the trauma bay.  Massive swelling and an orbital fracture later, he was not a happy camper.  He was still waiting for an optho consult by the time I left, so I can only hope that his vision won't be permanently damaged and he can continue on his path to the Major League.  Or he could always join cross-country.

No comments: