Wednesday, October 21, 2009

My First Intubation!

...was on a plastic dummy.  To be fair, it was a very expensive, high-tech plastic dummy.  That I also defibrillated and cardioverted.  But the intubation was definitely my favorite.

Never mind that its teeth were pretty banged up in the process.  Or that his vocal cords would have been torn to shreds.  It may have been a rocky start, but I have a long way to go before I'll be trying it for real.  And after multiple attempts, I now have a better appreciation for why Ten Out of Ten decided to start lifting weights.  It was a fun experience, and one that re-affirmed my hope to go into emergency medicine.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I broke a tooth once, but it got lost in a sea of bright-green vomit and we never did figure out where it went. Nobody seemed to notice, and then eventually the guy died, but it was still sort of a "whoopsie" moment. It's so tempting to lever back on that scope, isn't it?