Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Dodge, Dip, Dive, Duck, and Dodge

In retrospect, my spider-sense should have started tingling the moment I spied that full urinal perched precariously atop that slanted garbage can lid.  Blissfully unaware, however, I continued to search for a vein until I heard the plunk of impact with the floor, and turned just in time to dodge the oncoming golden wave.

Later in the evening, I was in the room as a combative patient tore out his IV and started waving his bleeding hand at anyone who approached him.  Managed to get out of that one without a speck on my scrubs.

But it was only when I kicked the chair back from the triage desk as the patient began emptying his stomach contents over his registration paperwork that I started to consider myself unusually lucky for the night.

That is, until I tripped on the sidewalk on my way home and wiped out in front of the hospital's main entrance.  Oh well, you can't win them all.

No comments: