Saturday, June 13, 2009

Summer in the City

After walking into a madhouse yesterday afternoon, the department had all but cleared out shortly after midnight.  Turning to caffeine to keep me going for the remaining hours of my shift, a nurse and I made the mistake of remarking how bored we were getting.

Within half and hour, we had been slammed with four new patients to our critical care area, three trauma victims from a bad MVC rollover with ejection, and the return of two EtOHers who had just been discharged at the beginning of my shift.  Not to mention the word of a code in progress out in the field, which sent us scrambling to throw a bag on a stretcher, hang some fluids, draw up meds, grab the defibrillator, all only to find out it was sent to another hospital.

At least we were no longer bored - by the next time I looked at my watch, it was time to go home.

No comments: