Thursday, October 30, 2008

The Mummy

Tucked away in a darkened room at the end of the hallway, a patient slumbered under a tightly-wrapped web of blankets.  Or at least, I assumed it was a patient.  

Everyone instinctively gave the room a wide berth, not daring to disturb the sanctity of the resting place.  At one point during the shift, I noticed the patient's vitals hadn't been checked in hours, and went to grab a set.  The nurse laughed as I set off down the hall, warning me to "be careful."

Entering the unlit chamber, I announced my presence, but received no response.  Reaching out to tap the patient on the shoulder, he awoke with a start, slowly rose to a sitting position, and with the blankets hanging off his tiny frame, the little old man boomed: "Get your filthy damn hands off me, you f*ing piece of shit," and continued to hurl obscenities until I left the room. 

No comments: