Monday, October 6, 2008

Thank You For Not Screaming

Normally I hate sitting with psychiatric patients.  When our psych unit is full and no sitters are available to come down from the floors, ER techs get pulled from their assignments to sit with the psych patients and make sure they don't kill themselves or escape or whatever, and it is by far and away the worst part of my job.

That said, I am currently swamped with studying for upcoming midterms, and actually appreciated the opportunity to review my notes while watching a trio of interesting characters the other night.  So, in that spirit of gratitude, a few thank yous are in order...

Thank you, 48 year old Soccer Mom, for overdosing your on your Percocets and choosing (by virtue of having your family call 911) to spend your evening with us in Big City ER.  Though I was unable to help you in your request to "get the fuck out of here," I enjoyed the time we spent together as you drooled all over yourself while dozing.

Thank you, Creepy Girl, for sitting quietly while buried under blankets and peering at me from underneath your sweatshirt hood.  Thanks also for not listening to the voices that told you to throw the nearby suture tray at the staff until after I was done watching you.

And finally...

Thank you, Stressed Out College Student, for taking 10 Xanax for your "nerves" and not crying until after they took you to the psych unit for further evaluation.

Thank you all for your efforts to support my education.

No comments: