Saturday, December 20, 2008

Disturbing Trends

Just in time for the end of final exams comes this sobering article in the New York Times announcing that 25% of US medical students graduate at least $200,000 in debt.  The explosion in costs just within the past 10 years is amazing.  And people wonder why no one's going into primary care.

The median cost of attending your state medical school is $44,390, and private schools average $62,243 per year.  That translates to a whole bunch of shifts in the ER once I return to the Big City after a couple weeks at home.  

2 comments:

Recovering Grady Addict said...

I was once delusional enough to believe that I could work full time as a Paramedic and work my way though med school (part time even). Ha! Not on our salaries! Studen loans here I come!

Second Shift said...

Oh believe me, I'm under no delusions - I will be up to my neck in loans. The scary thing is that with the economy the way it is, there's a lot less money floating around.