Thursday, December 4, 2008

Head Bone's Connected to the...

From time to time I help teach at the EMT class that I took when I was getting certified a few years ago.  I enjoy teaching, and it's fun to show people how to splint an arm or figure out how to strap someone into the rarely-used KED.  If tonight's class was any indication, however, the current crop of future life savers needs a little remedial education.

Highlights from my stint as a practice patient include:

A student attempting to assess my lung sounds by placing the stethoscope over my shoulder blades.

A student attempting to check my pulse by placing their two fingers on the middle of my forearm.

A student attempting to assist my (regular and adequate) ventilation with a BVM because "a little oxygen never hurt."

And finally...

Getting my blood pressure checked by having the cuff inflated to 250 and then left on while the student fumbled with getting the stethoscope under the cluff, then looked at the dial for another minute or so without deflating the pressure, and finally announcing "120 over 80" as I ripped the cuff off my tingling arm before it turned black and died.

1 comment:

EE said...

HAHA, the BP one happens in every class, cracks me up every time.