Sunday, December 14, 2008

Holiday Cheer

We had our own minor Miracle on 34th Street the other night when a patient's son went out of his way to thank the staff who treated his mother.  I was in the middle of drawing blood cultures on a sweet older lady when the son walked in, looked at my ID badge, and said "Second Shift, I'm going out to buy coffee for everyone who's taking care of my mom, would you like some?"  

Of course my initial reaction was to assume this was a clever attempt to poison me and I politely refused.  But lo and behold a little while later he returned to the nurses station with several cups of coffee for the staff.  After his mother was discharged he came around once more and thanked every member of the patient care team.  Maybe it was the holidays or maybe he was just an unusually nice guy, but little acts of kindness like that almost restore my faith in humanity.

3 comments:

Second Shift said...

Thanks Susan!

Evil Transport Lady said...

Wow! Those little things make a day:)

Recovering Grady Addict said...

THAT *NEVER* HAPPENS.... until now.