Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Cool

Patient arrives in the ED with a non-cardiac related complaint. The nurse goes in and gets the story, the doctors go in and get the story, I go in and get some bloodwork, the patient waits for transport to take her for some imaging studies.

Patient returns from her scan, stating she "feels funny." While hooking her back up to the monitor, the alarms start ringing. Assuming that I'll find jagged green lines caused by artifact, I look up to see V-fib on the monitor, and look down to realize the patient is coding.

Yelling for help, I start compressions. Patient gets tubed, defibrillated, and shocked back into sinus tach. An ICU team arrives shortly thereafter with a cooling unit, dropping the patient's core temperature a few degrees.

Days later, I learn the patient walked out of the hospital with no deficits.

Not a bad day at the office.

No comments: