Saturday, May 22, 2010

Let Them Eat Cake

With my time in the ER rapidly approaching an end, some goodbyes have already begun. I've developed great relationships with patients and staff alike over the years, and I know I will be sad to leave.

Jose Cuervo, long one of my favorite chronic EtOHers, known equally for his slurred, off-tempo renditions of great 80s power ballads and his nearly 600 visits to the ED over the past few years, sadly has not graced us with his presence lately.

Earlier in the year, I had hoped he would reach the coveted 600 visit mark before my employment came to an end. To celebrate the occasion, I even planned to commission a cake in the shape of the hospital turkey sandwiches he so loves.

Whether he's back in jail or has simply migrated out of the Big City for a while remains to be seen, but it looks like Jose and I won't be able to have our cake and eat it, too.

No comments: