Monday, February 23, 2009

When I'm Nintey-Four

I'd like to say that a patient experiencing "senile agitation" came after me with their cane like in the picture above, but that would be a lie.

He used his walker.

And while we certainly didn't break out the thorazine to calm him down, he did require some coaxing before relenting in his quest to trample me to death using his gray plastic mobility device with the hollowed-out tennis ball booties.  I've encountered a broad spectrum of elderly patients in my time in the ED, running the gamut from the senile to the serene, violent to vivacious, and more than one inappropriately flirtatious.  Although part of me fears that I'll grown into the potty-mouthed old codger who hurtles obscenities and used Kleenex at the ER staff with reckless abandon, I'd much rather become the crazy grandpa who can't stop laughing while telling dirty jokes.  I'll probably end up somewhere in between.

(Check out more ridiculous old ads here)

No comments: