Friday, January 30, 2009

Great Anatomy

No, that's not the backwards X-ray from Scrubs, it's the (Google-obtained) chest film of a patient with dextrocardia, an autosomal recessive condition that leads to the heart being located on the right side instead of the left.  The ER can be an incredible place to learn, especially when I'm working with some of the more awesome residents who don't mind taking the time to teach even a lowly ER tech.  One gave me the tipoff on a young patient with the dextrocardia the other night, showing me his X-ray and letting me listen to heart sounds coming from the right side.  As an added bonus, I heard my first heart murmur while listening.  Pretty cool.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad I'm not the only person to have noticed that backwards x-ray on scrubs.