Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Feast or Famine

Complain as I might when we're busy, the only thing worse is hanging around with nothing to do.

Over the weekend, a patient presented to triage with thoughts of jumping off a bridge.  With no one-to-one sitters available from the pool, my job for three hours was to make sure he did not succeed.  I always feel bad for psych patients who must endure the noise and commotion of a busy ED that isn't particularly well suited for their care, and I try to do the best I can to keep these patients comfortable.  Nevertheless, sitting is my least favorite part of the job.

It didn't help that once again we were getting slammed with traumas, and I was unable to help out.  As MDs, nurses, and techs ran from room to room trying to stay on top of things, one gentleman parked in the hallway noticed my obvious lack of movement and commented, "Everyone else is so busy.  How come you just sit there?"

Thanks for rubbing it in, dude.

No comments: